This time of year, apple trees are heavy laden with the beautiful fruits of the summer’s growing. One of the simplest, quickest, and desired deserts around here is apple crisp.
Use your own judgement on how many apples to use. When it comes to availability of a varied sizes of suitable tart cooking apples, a good rule of thumb is to fill 2/3 to 3/4 of the 8×8 pan with apples.
- 6-8 sliced medium sized cooking apples(Approximately 4-5 cups)
- 3/4c packed brown sugar
- 1/2c flour
- 1/2c old fashioned oats
- 1/3c butter(softened)
- 3/4tsp cinnamon
- 3/4tsp nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Slice up the apples however you want. If you have an apple corer that also slices the apples for you, this process is even faster.
- Grease an 8×8 pan with shortening or cooking spray.
- Spread apples in the pan. Filling it up to 2/3 full.
- Mix remaining ingredients in a bowl.
- Sprinkle topping over the apples evenly.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until topping is golden brown.
Apple crisp is best served warm with a dollop of ice cream but you can do it any way you wish. It’s your apple crisp after all.