This is a moist coffee cake with ribbons of buttery goodness throughout. It is easy enough to whip together before guests come over or as a warm delicious breakfast bread. Either way, this is a great recipe to have in your repertoire.
Simple Coffee Cake
Servings 10 pieces
- 3 c flour
- 1 1/2 c sugar
- 5 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 c shortening
- 1 1/2 c milk
- 2 eggs
- Mix together all the dry ingredients in a bowl.
- Add the shortening, milk, and eggs then mix thoroughly. There will still be lumps of shortening and that is OK.
- Pour the batter into a greased 9×13 cake pan.
- For the topping mix together the brown sugar, flour, and cinnamon using a fork to break apart the larger clumps.
- Evenly pour the topping over the cake batter in the pan.
- Cut the butter into small pieces and place evenly over the top of the topping.
- Bake at 375° for 30-35 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
Topping Ingredients: 2/3c brown sugar, 1/3c flour, 2 1/2tsp cinnamon, 5Tbsp butter