In our eternal search for finding enough recipes to keep from throwing out a single zucchini from our garden due to spoilage, we came up with this nice cake because of the overwhelmingly positive response to our Glazed Lemon Zucchini Bread recipe. It again uses fruit to bring add favor and character to the mundane, but nutritionally abundant, zucchini.
- 1c white flour
- 1/2c whole wheat wlour
- 1 1/4c sugar
- 2tsp baking soda
- 1tsp salt
- 2tsp cinnamon
- 1/4tsp nutmeg
- 1/8tsp ginger
- 3Tbsp oil
- 2 eggs(lightly beaten)
- 1tsp vanilla
- 2c grated zucchini
- 2 1/2c drained crushed pineapple(or a 20oz can)
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Mix all dry ingredients(flours, sugar, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and ginger) and set aside.
- In a separate bowl mix together the oil, eggs, vanilla, zucchini and pineapple. Mix well.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet and mix thoroughly.
- Pour contents of bowl into a greased 9×13 cake pan.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until cake is a nicely medium brown and an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
CREAM CHEESE FROSTING
We used some of the reserved pineapple juice from crushing to put in the frosting. It continues the flavor throughout the frosting that you get from the cake. If there’s no juice left(because someone over zealously drank it) then substitute milk.
- 2Tbsp softened butter
- 8oz package of cream cheese
- 2c powdered sugar
- about 1Tbsp pineapple juice(be careful not to overdue it or your frosting will be runny)
Simply mix the ingredients together until even texture and it has a thickness you are comfortable with. Then spread on your COMPLETELY COOLED cake. It should be completely cooled or your frosting will become a runny mess. You may also like to sprinkle crushed nuts or your choice over the top.