Apple Pie Filling
Apple pie is a real treat but it can take an awful long time to make. The filling, the crust, and ultimately baking it can take hours. This recipe helps you prep the filling ahead of time so you have less excuses in the end preventing you from enjoying a hot and fresh pie.
- 5-6lbs tart pie apples
- 4 1/2 sugar
- 2tsp cinnamon
- 1/2tsp nutmeg
- 1c cornstarch
- 1tsp salt
- 8c water
- 3Tbsp lemon juice
- Always start with making sure you have 6 clean and sterilized quart jars, lids, and bands. You don’t want all your hard work to be wasted on dirty jars.
- Peel and core apples. (An old fashioned apple peeler/corer is an essential tool for all apple cooking. If you don’t have one, get one.)
- cut into small triangle or long slices and pack them into the jars. Here is where there is a little difference in the apple quantity because you have a finite amount of space in 6 quart jars.
- In a large pot add the sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, cornstarch, salt and water.
- Bring the mixture to a boil on high heat, stirring frequently. Boil for just 1 minute.
- Remove from heat, add lemon juice and stir.
- Using a funnel, pour the filling sauce into the jars full of apples up to 1/2′ from the lip.
- Seal the jars with lids and bands.
- Place the jars in a boiling canning pot for 20 minutes to fully process.