Simply Banana Bread
Bananas are most likely to be eaten in our house within the first couple days after bringing them home from the market. If afew of them get ignored long enough, they get turned into banana bread. Maybe that’s deliberate in-action on the part of the family, but it’s a house favorite.
- 2 1/2c flour (We use 1 1/4c white and 1 1/4c whole wheat but you can decide for yourself)
- 1tsp baking powder
- 1tsp salt
- 1c shortening
- 2c sugar
- 2c over-ripe mashed bananas
- 4 eggs
- 1tbsp imitation rum
- Combine the dry ingredients: flour, baking soda, and salt. Mix well.
- In a separate bowl beat together the shortening, sugar, mashed bananas, and eggs. Mix thoroughly.
- Gradually add the dry ingredients. Don’t over mix, just combined.
- Finally add the imitation(or real) rum or even chopped walnuts if you like your bread a little nutty.
- Coat 2 8×4 loaf pans with shortening and then lightly flour to reduce sticking.
- Divide the batter into the loaf pans and then bake at 350° for 60-65 minutes, until tooth pick tests clean.
- Let sit to cool before removing from the pan.
Note: Most sweet bread recipes are very similar. The feature flavor(s) is what gives the bread it’s distinct character.