Comfort Foods: Cabbage Rolls
In a world of speed and convenience, cabbage rolls do not fit the model but it is one of our family favorites. When you have the time(and it can take 3 hrs to prepare from start to finish), it is a wonderful meal to share with your family. Feel free to adapt this recipe with any changes to suit your own family’s pallet.
- 1 head of cabbage(pick your color, any color)
- 1 lb ground meat (beef/pork/chicken/turkey/tauntaun)
- 1/2 c long grain slow cook rice
- 2 medium eggs
- 1 onion(chopped)
- 1 15oz cans tomato sauce
- 1 15 oz can whole tomatoes
- 1 15 oz can diced tomatoes
- 1/4 c brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- Salt/Pepper to taste
- Combine the meat, rice, eggs, and onion in a bowl, adding salt and pepper if you wish, and set aside.
- In a pot or saucepan simmer the tomatoes, tomato sauce, brown sugar, and Worcestershire sauce long enough for the brown sugar to dissolve and stir to an even color. Then set aside.
- Now, take the head of cabbage and discard the first few leaves. They tend to be tougher, even after cooking. The tender under leaves are better anyway. Remove the leaves with a minimum of ripping from the head.
- Blanche the full leaves in a simmering water bath to soften. No more than 3 minutes per leaf.
- Optional: Before or after blanching take a knife and cut the thickest vein off the back of the leaf. Doing so will allow the leaf to wrap more readily around the meat and rice mixture.
- Wrap 1/4 cup of the meat mixture in the cabbage leaves. Makes about 10-12 rolls.
- Cut the remaining cabbage and place in the bottom of a 9×13 casserole pan.
- Place the cabbage rolls on the loose cabbage and pour the tomato sauce over the cabbage rolls.
- Cover and bake at 375° for 1 1/2 to 2 hrs.